How to Stop Stress and Anxiety With Deep Breathing
How to Stop Stress and Anxiety with Deep Breathing. Air is essential to life. Oxygen is one of the essentials of life.
From the moment we are born, taking in that first breath is imperative for us to continue.
Breath is more important than food, or even water.
We can live a time without either of those but we can only live a few minutes without oxygen.
Believe it or not, even though breathing is natural, there are ways to improve your breathing so that when you take in air, you are doing so in the most efficient way possible.
Take a few moments to watch how a baby or small child breathes. They breathe from their diaphragm, but as adults, due to stress and other issues we tend to breath more shallow and more rapidly.
Poor Breathing, Shallow Breathing when under Stress
This can increase our chances for hypertension, and other circulatory illnesses.
How to Stop Stress – Improper and Poor breathing can:
- increase stress levels
- inhibit your ability to concentrate
- cause body pain like lower back pain.
- contribute to poor digestion
- increase hypertension
- increase circulatory problems
Knowing this, you can see how important it is to discover what proper breathing is like, and mindfully practice it, until it becomes second nature like it was when you were a child.
How to Stop Stress – Yoga helps with Breathing, Reduces Stress and Anxiety
A really good way to practice breathing appropriately is to incorporate Yoga into your daily routine. Yoga is a breath centered, and core centered, exercise program that addresses the mental, physical and spiritual nature of humans. You will learn how to breath properly, and how to be present in your mind and body at any given moment during the day whether you’re working, exercising or are at rest. If you’re willing to spend just a few minutes daily doing breathing exercises you will see a huge difference in your overall health.
- Learning how to breathe deeply and slowly gives you a sense of well-being.
- Slow breathing gives a feeling of inner quiet and control over one’s emotions.
In general, many people do not understand the importance of breathing properly, nor how to breathe properly.
Most of us breathe with short and shallow breaths, which doesn’t carry adequate amounts
of oxygen to the brain or the blood stream for optimal health.
In yoga, breathing is an art where deep breaths are taken to fill the lungs to their entirety with concentration on the process.
Julie shares a Positive Breathing Technique
Julie shares a positive breathing Technique. Feel Calm and tranquil.
We use the breath as a guide. Positive Breath Sequence.
- Sit in comfortable position. Use a chair if you like.
- Inhale, draw breath in through nose, lungs, and stomach.
- Exhale from lower part of stomach up through lungs,
up through heart and out through the nose.
- 4 seconds inhale, 4 seconds exhale
- Inhale Health, Exhale Disease
- Inhale Strength, Exhale Weakness
- Inhale Compassion, Exhale Judgement
- Inhale Gratitude, Exhale Desire
- Inhale Love, Exhale Ego
Deeply inhale and exhale.
Keeping eyes closed, stay in this silent frame of mind.
Use this quietness to seal in this technique.
Affirmation that Julie uses:
I am happy, healthy, holy, beautiful on the inside as well as on the outside.
Creative in all thoughts, words, and actions, continuing to draw positive light and love into my life.
How to Stop Stress – Proper Deep Breathing to Stop Stress and reduce anxiety can:
- decrease stress levels
- heighten your ability to concentrate and increase mental clarity
- increase endorphins and the “feel good” neurotransmitters
- contribute to improved digestion
- increase oxygen and circulation to your heart and all parts of the body
- improve your sleep
So – remember to breathe deeply and take time to relax, and time for yourself!